BREATHING SCIENCE(ORIGINAL TEXT)BREATHING SCIENCE-14...PART -02
THE DESCRIPTION OF SHANMUKHI MUDRA;-
150. Fix the thumbs in the ears, close the two nostrils with the middle fingers, the mouth with the ring and little fingers and the eyes with the forefingers.
151. After doing this, knowledge of the elements like earth, etc. comes serially with careful observation in the form of yellow, white, red, black and dots of all colours.
152. Looking into a mirror, one should breathe on it. A clear-sighted wise person can have knowledge of the different tattwas on the basis of the shape formed on the mirror.
ABOUT SHAPE OF THE TATTWAS;-
153. The shapes are known to be a square or quadrangle for earth , a half-moon for water , a triangle for fire, a circle for air , and if it is formed of small dots, it indicates the presence of the akasha element.
154. Earth flows in the middle, water flows downward, fire flows upward, and air flows at an angle. When the swaras flow together, know that the ether element is active.
ABOUT COLOUR OF THE TATTWAS;-
155. Water is white; earth is yellow; fire is red; air is cloud blue;ether is of mixed colors.
ABOUT LOCATION OF THE TATTWAS;-
156. Fire is located in both the shoulders, air at the root of the navel, earth in the region of the knees, water in the feet and ether in the forehead.
ABOUT THE TASTE OF THE TATTWAS;-
157. In taste, earth is sweet, water is astringent(कसैला ), fire is bitter air is sour and ether is pungent,.
ABOUT MOTION OF THE TATTWAS;-
158. The length of the swara of the air element is eight angular (finger’s breadth); of the fire element four angulas; of the earth element twelve angulas, and of the water element sixteen angulas.
159. If the swara flows in an upward direction, it indicates death. A downward flow indicates tranquillity. If it flows in an oblique manner, it is a good time for getting rid of bad elements. The flow in the middle indicates motionlessness. The effect of akasha element is moderate in all kinds of works.
160. During the predominance of the earth element it is the time for steady actions; during water for moving work; during fire for difficult actions; during air for actions harmful to others.
161. No work should be done at the time of the predominance of the ether element as everything draws a blank during this period. However, yoga sadhana should be done without any other consideration during such a period.
162. Earth and water bring accomplishment, fire brings death, air brings destruction, but ether brings no result. This should be known to the tattwavadis (those who study the elements).
163. When earth flows, it brings permanent benefits, water brings immediate success, fire and air result in harm and loss, ether bears no fruit.
164. Indications of the predominance of the earth element in the swara are its yellow color, slow speed, reaching down to the chin with a heavy sound and slight warmth. This provides success in all kinds of steady works.
165. The water element predominant swara flows downwards, is heavy sounding, flows with fast speed, is cool and extends up to sixteen angulas (in breadth). This is suitable for performing auspicious activities.
166. The fire element predominant swara flows in a circular motion, is very hot, is blood-red in color, extends up to four fingers in length, flows upwards and is only suitable for performing cruel actions.
167. The air element predominant swara is temperate, black (or dark) colored, flows in an oblique direction and extends up to eight (angulas) fingers in breadth. Its name is pavana and it brings about success in dynamic actions.
168. The swara which carries the qualities of all the other elements in a balanced manner should be known as (predominated by) ambar, (i.e. ether). This provides success to yogis in learning yoga.
169. The earth element predominated swara is yellow in color, quadrangular in shape, sweet in taste and flows in the middle, extending up to twelve fingers in breadth, and provides enjoyment.
170. The water element predominated swara is white in color, shaped like a half-moon, astringent in taste,damp, and its flow extends up to sixteen angulas in breadth. This bestows all profit and gain.
171. The fire element predominated swara is red in color,triangular in shape, pungent in taste, upward flowing,effulgent, and its flow extends up to four angulas in breadth.
172. The air element predominated swara is blue in color, circular in shape, pleasant-sour in taste, flows at a slant in a fluctuating manner and is said to extend up to eight fingers in breadth.
173. The ether element predominated swara is indistinguishable in colour, shape, taste and flow. It is also all-pervading and provides liberation. However, in all other affairs it is useless.
174. The earth and water elements are auspicious, the fire element gives mixed results, and the ether and air elements are inauspicious and cause loss and death to humans.
175. The earth element extends from east to west, the fire isin the south, the air element should be known to be in the north direction and the ether element resides in the centre in an oblique/slanting(neither parallel nor perpendicular nor right-angled) position.
176. When there is a predominance of the earth or water element in the lunar swara, or there is fire element in the solar swara, then there will be success in all types of work whether placid (even-tempered/सौम्य)or dynamic. There is no doubt about it.
177. When the earth element flows during the day or the water element during the night, one obtains profit. Fire brings death, air destruction and ether in some cases causes loss due to fire.
178. The elements should be consulted in questions concerning life, victory, profit, farming, money matters (earning), consultations (mantra), and questions related to battle (fighting) and travel.
179. During the water element the enemy will come; during earth there will be happiness; during air the enemy will go away; during fire and ether there will be harm and death.
ABOUT TYPES OF THOUGHT;-
180. During the earth element, the mind is orientated towards material thoughts. During water and air, thoughts relate to one’s life. In fire, thoughts are about treasure, wealth, etc. In ether, there is no thought or worry, only shoonyata (void).
ABOUT METHOD OF WALKING ;-
181. During the earth element take many steps; during water and air two steps; during fire four steps; during ether don’t walk anywhere.
182. In the right swara, Mars resides in the fire element, the sun in the earth element, Saturn in the water element and Neptune in the air element.
183. In the left swara, the moon resides in the water element, Mercury in the earth element, Jupiter in the air element and Venus in the fire element. All these are definitely auspicious for all types of work.
184. Earth signifies Mercury; water the moon and Venus; fire the sun and Mars; air Neptune and Saturn; and ether Jupiter.
QUESTIONS ACCORDING TO THE DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS;-
185. When a person has gone away and somebody else asks about him, if the questioner is on the side of your active solar swara and Neptune is in the air element, it means that the person is on the move, shifting to another place.
186. If the question is asked during the dominance of water element, it means that the person will return. During the earth element it means that he is well and is at the same place. Air means that he has left that place and has gone somewhere else, and fire means that he is no more alive.
187. In the earth element mundane affairs are prosperous, water is good for auspicious work, fire is good for dealing with metals, and in ether there are no concerns or worries.
188. If there is either the earth or water element at the time of a question about someone who has gone out, then the person in question is enjoying a satisfied life, good health, the love of others, entertainment, victory and pleasure. If there is the fire or wind element, then the person is suffering from fever with shivering or excessive sleep.
189. If the question is asked during the ether element, the person is at the end of his life or has already died. Thus, from the prevailing element during the time when these twelve types of questions are asked, the practitioner of tattwa sadhana should know the results.
190. The earth, water, fire and air elements are powerful in the east, west, south and north directions respectively.
191. O beautiful-faced Parvati, it should be known that this body is nothing but the combination of the five elements (i.e. earth, water, fire, air and ether).
PLACE OF THE FIVE ELEMENTS IN THE BODY;-
192. There are five qualities of the earth element in this body in the form of bone, flesh, skin, nadis and hair. This has been said on the strength of Brahma jnana.
193. Semen/ova, blood, marrow, urine and saliva are the five qualities of the water element. This is also told by the Brahma jnanis.
194. Hunger, thirst, sleep, lustre of body and laziness are the five qualities of the fire element. This is said by the Brahma jnanis.
195. Running, walking, glandular secretion, contraction and expansion of the body are the five qualities of the air element. This the Brahma jnanis have said.
196. Attachment, jealousy, shyness, fear and passion are the five qualities belonging to the ether element. This is said by the Brahma jnanis.
QUESTIONS REGARDING GAIN;-
197. In the body the earth element is 50 palas (parts), water is 40 palas, fire is 30 palas, air 20 palas and ether 10 palas.
198. The activity of earth ensures long-term success; water gives instant results; in air success is rare; but in fire even an accomplished work will be spoiled.
199. Earth has five qualities, water four, fire three, air two and ether one. This is the eternal knowledge and these are the proportions of the elements.
ABOUT THE PLANET EARTH;-
200. The different forms of the swara which is dominated by the earth element, e.g. producing a hissing sound, broken (non-continuous), torn (with split sound) and with downward direction, provides results in all the works according to its situation (condition).
ABOUT STAR CONSTELLATIONS AND THE TATTWAS;-
201. The earth element is concerned with the stars and constellations (nakshatras) of: Rohini (Taurus ), Jyeshtha (Scorpio)Anuradha(Scorpius) , Shravana ( Capricorn, ), Abhijit (the brightest star -Vega) and Uttarashadha (Sagittarius).
202. O dear one, the water element is concerned with the stars and constellations of: Poorvashadha (Sagittarius ), Aslesha ( Cancer), Moola(Sagittarius ), , Ardra (Gemini ), Revati (Pisces ), Uttarabhadrapada(Pisces ) and Shatabhishaj (Aquarius ).
203. O beloved one, the stars and constellations concerned with the fire element are: Bharani (Aries ), Krittika (Taurus) , Pushya (Cancer ), Magha ( Leo), Poorvaphalguni (Leo ), Poorva-bhadrapada (Aquarius) and Swati ( Libra).
204. The stars and constellations concerned with the air element are: Vishakha (Libra), Uttaraphalguni (Leo), Hasta (Virgo ), Chitra (Virgo ), Punarvasu (Gemini ), Ashwini (Aries ) and Mrigashirsha (Taurus )....
WHAT IS RASHI PANCHAMAHABHUTA?-
If we take the element of the sign rulers into account, we find an added element. In Jyotish we study the four elements and their connection with the 12 signs. The fifth element ether resides in all signs. However, if we take the rulership of the rashis into account, the rashi will also reflect the element of its ruler and the fifth element comes into play e.g. Scorpio’s ruler Mars reflects fire. Scorpio is a water sign . Hence Scorpio expresses both water and fire. Sagittarius is a fire sign; its ruler is ether, so Sagittarius will be fire- ether.
Signs>>.Ruling Planet>>Elements from Sign
>>Elements from it's Ruler
>>Elements from Rashi & it's Ruler
1 -Aries >Mars> Fire > fire > Fire-Fire
2-Taurus >Venus >Earth Water Earth-Water
3-Gemini >Mercury >Air > Earth >Air-Earth
4-Cancer > Moon > Water > Water > Water-Water
5-Leo > Sun > Fire > Fire Fire-Fire
6-Virgo > Mercury > Earth > Earth > Earth-Earth
7-Libra > Venus >Air > Water > Air-Water
8-Scorpio > Mars > Water > Fire > Water-Fire
9-Sagitarius > Jupiter > Fire > Ether >Fire-Ether
10-Capricorn >Saturn > Earth >Air > Earth-Air
11-Aquarius > Saturn > Air > Air > Air-Air
12-Pisces > Jupiter > Water >Ether > Water-Ether
ABOUT QUESTIONS OF THE MESSENGER;-
205. If a messenger sits or stands on the side of the active swara and asks either auspicious or inauspicious questions, all of them will have a positive and successful outcome. But if he sits on the side of the blocked nadi, there will be no result, that is certain.
206. Even if the outgoing breath is flowing full strength with the predominance of auspicious elements, through either the solar or the lunar swara, it does not provide success, but if there is a conjunction of both, then it gives all kinds of success.
207. During the time of the auspicious elements Sri Ramawas victorious and Arjuna also was victorious, but all the Kauravas were killed during the war due to the reverse elements.
208. Only those few possessing pure hearts and having good samskaras from previous incarnations or with the guru’s grace receive this knowledge of the elements.
ABOUT CHARACTERISTICS OF THE TATTWAS;-
209. Lam is the seed mantra of the earth element. One should concentrate on this element which has a shining yellow-colored square, a pleasant smell and a golden light. By this one can obtain lightness of body.
210. Vam is the bija mantra of the water element. By concentrating on it and the form of a shining crescent moon, hunger and thirst can be overcome, and one can stay for a long time under water. Thus one has power over water.
211. One who concentrates on the bija mantra Ram of the fire element situated in a shining red triangle can eat and drink colossal amounts of food, and bear the heat of the sun or fire.
212. Yam, the bija mantra of the air element, should be meditated upon. It is circular and blue or dark in color. The person who has power over it can move through the air, fly like a bird (experience levitation).
213. For concentration on the ether element, which is formless and multicolored, one uses the bija mantra Ham. Through these practices comes the knowledge of past, present and future and gain of prosperity, jewels, gems, etc.
THE IMPORTANT POINTS OF SWARA YOGA;-
214. There is no wealth greater than the wisdom of the practitioner of the swara science, because the person who acts according to the swara gains results without effort.
215. Devi said: O God of gods, Mahadeva, how does this great science of Swarodaya provide knowledge of past, present and future?
216. Ishwara said: O beautiful one, there are three types of auspicious or inauspicious questions pertaining to wealth, kala (i.e. time related to life) and victory belonging to past, present and future. This knowledge of past, present and future can be had only through swara yoga and nothing else.
217. By the tattwa only, one can distinguish auspicious/inauspicious events, victory/defeat, abundance of food or famine. Thus the tattwas are said to be the cause of the works of all three times.
218. Devi said: Deva, Deva, Mahadeva, O God of all gods, in this universe who is the greatest friend of humans and what is that by which all desires can be fulfilled?
219. Ishwara said: Prana is the greatest friend, prana is the greatest companion. O fair-faced one there is no closer friend in this universe than prana.
220. Devi said: How does the air reside in the prana, and is the body in the form of prana? How is the prana moving in the tattwas perceived by the yogis?
221. Shiva said: Residing in the centre of this body, prana vayu is like a guard. On entering the body (inhalation) it is said to be ten lingers long, on leaving (exhalation) it is twelve.
222. At the time of walking it is twenty-four lingers; running, forty-two; copulating, sixty-five; sleeping, one hundred.
223. O Devi, prana is naturally twelve fingers in length, but while eating or vomiting it is eighteen.
224. If a yogi succeeds in reducing the length of prana by one finger (out of twelve fingers), he obtains desirelessness, with a reduction of two fingers he gets bliss, if reduced by three fingers he gets the energy of love.
225. Reduction of the length of prana by four fingers gives the power of speech (whatever one says comes true); five, telepathy; six, the ability to levitate; seven enables one to move with enormous speed.
226. Reduction of the length of prana by eight fingers gives attainment of the eight siddhis (perfections); nine, attainment of the nine nidhis (riches); ten, ability to change the body into ten forms; eleven, the ability to make the body shadowless.
227. Reduction of the length of prana by twelve fingers enables one to attain the state of hamsa and drink the nectar of the Ganga (to become immortal). The yogiwho achieves control over the prana, right from his toes to his head, needs no food and has no desire to eat.
228. Thus the method of achieving all kinds of success through control of prana has been described. This knowledge comes only through the guru’s instruction, and no amount of study can provide it.
229. If by chance the lunar swara does not flow in the morning, or the solar in the evening, they will come in force after midday or midnight.
QUESTIONS ON WAR;-
230. If one wants to fight in a distant country, one should follow chandraswara for victory. If one has to go to battle in a nearby country, one should start in pingala. Step forward with the same foot as the active swara and it will provide all kinds of success.
231. At the start of a journey, at the time of marriage or while entering into a city, and for all auspicious works the lunar swara should be active in order to get success.
232. If by good fortune the presiding deities of the northern and southern course of the sun, the lunar day and the solar day are present with their elements in one’s breath, one can conquer the enemy army merely by holding one’s breath, and there will be no obstacle in the spiritual world of Lord Keshava
233. One who covers his chest with his cloth and repeatedly utters the mantra Jivam raksha (save my soul) during battle, survives and also conquers the whole earth.
234. It is appropriate to travel for peaceful purposes during the flow of the earth or water element, for difficult and dynamic actions during the flow of the air or fire element, and for neither of the two during the flow of the ether element.
235. The person who holds a weapon in the same hand as the active swara, who uses it with the same hand, aims and throws it with the same hand, always wins the battle.
236. One who draws in the prana vayu while mounting any vehicle and who puts his foot on the upper part of it obtains success in all affairs.
237. Flowing under the full influence of the appropriate element, an empty swara provides the advantage in war materials to the enemy, but when flowing full strength, it increases one’s fighting power to the extent that one could conquer the earth single-handed.
238. When the swara flows with the appropriate nadi and the presiding deity and the proper direction are on the same side, all desires are fulfilled.
239. One should initially practice mudra and then start fighting. The person who does sarpa mudra obtains success without doubt.
240. If all brave fighters with the desire to fight go to war either during the lunar or solar swara when the air element is in force, then it is auspicious. If the closed swara is followed instead, destruction ensures.
241. The battle should be forced to be fought on the side on which one’s swara is flowing. Thus one will win without any doubt, even if Indra is opposing one.
242. One should go (to the battlefield) after drawing the prana up to the ear on the side of the active swara, the none will definitely conquer Indra.
243. (During battle) one who protects the side (of the body) corresponding to the active swara, when assaulted by the enemy, becomes so strong that even powerful enemies cannot defeat him.
244. During battle one who can make a sound with the thumb and the upper part of the first finger, or from the big toe, can defeat a hundred thousand fighters.
245. One who desires victory and goes to war during the flow of either ida or pingala when the air element is active can protect (his army or country borders) from all directions, even while remaining stationary.
EXAMINING THE MESSENGER;-
246. If a messenger should speak about a desire at the time of inhalation, it will be fulfilled, O beautiful one, but at the time of exhalation it will not.
247. All actions related to gain, etc. questioned or explained at the time of inhalation are successful. During exhalation one only gets losses.
248. The right swara is auspicious for men and the left is auspicious for women. At the time of battle no swara (i.e. kumbhaka) is best. In this manner, there are three nadis and three directions of flow.
249. How can there be any knowledge of the swara without knowledge of the syllables Ha and Sa? Repetition of the mantra So-Ham and Ham-So always leads to success.
250. By inhaling fully through the closed swara (and retaining through kumbhaka), one should guard victory(to come) through the active swara. This strategy is necessary because affliction comes on the side of the open swara and the closed swara always protects.
251. If a messenger asks about war when either the lunar or solar swara is fully flowing, it indicates no loss. But if it is closed, then loss (destruction) is certain.
TYPES OF INJURY;-
252. If the earth element is predominant at the time of a question about war damages, then there will be an injury in the stomach; if the water element predominates, then the legs will be injured; if the fire element predominates, then the thighs will be injured; and if the air element predominates, the hands will be injured.
253. Similarly, if the ether element is in force, injury comes to the head. In this way, there are five types of injury according to the Swarodaya shastra.
254. If during battle the lunar swara flows, the ruler of the home country (the invaded) is undoubtedly victorious. If the solar swara flows, then the army of the other country (the invader) is victorious.
255. If there is any doubt about victory one should check the flow of prana in the middle nadi (i.e. sushumna). If sushumna is flowing, then there is danger from the enemy in the battle.
256. If a person takes shelter or makes his base during a battle in the direction of the active swara, then he gains victory; there is no need to give it a second thought.
257. If the lunar nadi flows continuously at the time of battle, the invaded side will gain victory and the enemy (the invader) will also be captured or kept under control.
258. If during battle the flow of the solar swara becomes non-continuous or ceases, then the invader will gain victory. This is true for the manavas (humans) as well as for the devas (gods) and the asuras (demons).
259. One who enters the war during the flow of his lunar swara will be captured by the enemy. If he enters during the flow of sushumnanadi, the enemy will capture his territory. If he enters during the flow of the solar swara, then he will gain victory.
260. If questions are asked about the outcome of two wars or of two fronts of a war when the swara is fully open, then there will be victory in the war (or at the war front) pertaining to the first question. If the swara is closed, then there will be victory in the war (or at the war front) pertaining to the second question, not otherwise.
261. If one follows the full swara at the time of going to war, the enemy will trouble him. If he starts at the time of the closed swara, he will come face to face with the enemy. If he keeps the enemy on the side of his closed swara, then the death of the enemy is certain.
QUESTIONS CONCERNING WAR;-
262. When the lunar swara is flowing, the person whose name is simple and common or contains an even number of letters gains victory. However, if the questioner is on the right side, then the person whose name is unusual or has an odd number of letters is victorious.
263. If the lunar swara flows while questioning, then there will be a compromise. If the solar swara flows, then know that there will be war.
264. If the question is asked during the dominance of the earth element, then the results will be equal for both parties; during the water element, the questioner will win; during the fire element, the questioner will face destruction or injury; and during the air and ether elements, the questioner will die.
265. If out of carelessness or for any other reason one does not know which swara is flowing at the time of an inquiry into the future, an intelligent person should carefully do the following:
266. Holding the mind steady, drop a flower from the hand. The flower will fall to the side of the flowing swara and therefore the other side will be the empty one.
267. While standing or sitting, if the person draws in his prana vayu with full concentration, he will be successful in every sphere.
268. When one is merged in the flow of sushumna, then even the most horrible times (kala), weapons, snakes, the enemy, disease, a thief, etc. are unable to destroy or cause him suffering.
269. A person who, through the vital prana, establishes the deity presiding over wind and then begins activities regarding playing with dice and takes pleasure in playing, always becomes victorious.
270. Crores of other kinds of power are useless before the strength of the knowledge of the swara. One who has this knowledge is always powerful both in this world as well as the next.
271. Some possess the strength of ten people, some of a hundred, some of ten thousand, some of a hundred thousand and some are equal in strength to the king of the country. But the strength of the person who has knowledge of the swara has a crore times the strength of a hundred Indras.
272. Devi said: You have explained about success in war between human beings. But what if one has to face battle with the lord of death (Yamaraja). How will humans be victorious then?
273. Ishwara said: One who meditates upon God with a still and undisturbed mind and who submits the oblation of his vital breath in kumbhaka (i.e. stops his prana vayu) has his desires fulfilled and gains immense benefit and victory.
274. The whole world of forms has originated from the formless God. By the practice of oblation as explained above (in the previous verse), real knowledge of the world of forms and the formless supreme Lord comes instantly.
275. Devi said: O Maheshwara! You explained the technique for victory in the fight with men and death (Yamaraja). Now, O God of gods, kindly tell me about the science of captivation.
ABOUT CAPTIVATING WOMAN;-
276. Ishwara said: If the (woman’s) lunar swara is taken through the (man’s) solar swara and he retains it in his jiva mandala (anahata chakra), then the woman will be captivated for the whole of her life. This is said by the ascetics.
277. If the woman’s active swara is held by the man’s active swara, and the man again puts that swara back into the active swara of the woman, he controls the woman throughout his life.
278. The man who drinks the sushumna swara of the woman during the period of the last yama (three hours) of the night when the woman is asleep keeps the prana of the woman captivated.
279. If, after the period of the flow of sushumna swara, one recites the eight-syllable mantra Om Namo Narayanaya and instantly gives his lunar swara to the woman, she develops love for him.
280. If, when sleeping or having relation or just embracing, the man drinks the lunar swara of the woman through his solar swara, then his charm becomes captivating like that of Cupid.
281. At the time of intercourse with a woman or even during courtship , if the woman’s active solar swara is embraced by the man’s active lunar swara, and he immediately incites her to reciprocate his action, then he can captivate one hundred women.
282. When the solar swara flows and relations take place in odd numbers ( like 3,5,) or during the lunar swara in even numbers ( like 2,4,) the woman becomes charmed and subservient(subordinate).
283. Drawing both his solar and lunar swaras and seizing the lips of a woman like a serpent, one should kiss her half-open, lotus-shaped mouth again and again.
284. The man should keep on kissing the lotus mouth of the woman up to the full stretch of prana until she falls asleep. Later, when it is time for her to wake up, he should kiss her on the throat and eyes.
285. O supreme Goddess, by following these methods a man (lover) can captivate all women. But it is my order that the method of captivation should not be divulged(reveal) ,to any other person (unworthy one).
286. If on the fifth day after the menstrual cycle when the solar swara of the man and the lunar swara of the woman is flowing, they have intercourse, then a son will be conceived.
287. If the woman drinks shankhavalli (a herb) mixed with cow’s milk, and either the earth or water element is flowing, then she should pray three times to her husband to give her a son.
288. When, on completion of the menstrual cycle, the woman has taken the aforesaid drink after bathing, then the man should enter into intercourse with her. By doing so a beautiful male child as brave as a lion will be born.
289. If a man puts the flow of his solar nadi into the woman’s sushumna during relations, then a crippled and deformed male child is produced.
290. If relations take place during the day or night after an uneven number of days from the last day of menses, and the man’s solar swara and the woman’s lunar swara are flowing, and either the water or fire element is active, then even a sterile woman will produce a son.
291. If union takes place at the beginning of the fertile period when the man’s solar swara and the woman’s lunar swara are flowing, then even a sterile woman will have a son.
292. If the man’s solar swara flows at the start of intercourse at the beginning of the fertile period of the woman, and after ejaculation his lunar swara starts flowing, then there will not be even a wooden doll in their fate (i.e. the woman will not conceive).
293. If one’s lunar swara flows at the time of a question about pregnancy, the child will be a girl. The flow of the solar swara means it will be a boy, and if both swaras flow in sushumna. there will be a miscarriage.
294. If the earth element is predominant at the time of the question, then the child will be a girl; if the water element is dominant, then a boy; if air, then a girl; if fire, then an abortion; and if either, then an impotent child will be born.
295. The lunar swara indicates a girl, solar swara a boy, both swaras a eunuch. But if the question is asked when the messenger is on the side of the full swara, then a son will be born.
296. O beautiful one, if the questioner comes to the side of the vacant (shoonya) swara, then there will be no child; if both the swaras are flowing, then twins will be born; if there is an alternation of swaras (i.e. sushumna flowing), then there will be a miscarriage. The knower of the tattwas must know what I have explained.
297. If conception takes place when the air element is predominant, the offspring (son) will be morose; when the water element is dominant, he will be famous in all directions and will have a pleasurable life; when the fire element is dominant, there will either be an abortionor the baby will be short-lived; and when the earth element is predominant, he will enjoy material life and be handsome and wealthy.
298. If conception takes place during the predominance of the water element, then the son born will be wealthy, happy and an enjoyer of material life, and his wealth will ever remain with him. If conception takes place during the dominance of the ether element, then there will be an abortion.
299. If conception takes place during the predominance of the earth element, then a beautiful son will be born, and under the water element a daughter. If it takes place under the other elements, then there will eitherbe an abortion or the child will die soon after birth.
300. If the lunar swara passes through the solar swara or the solar through the lunar, then one should seek the advice of a guru quickly, because the Vedas or crores of shastras will be of no avail.
ABOUT YEARLY PREDICTIONS;-
304. The sushumnanadi is cruel and wicked in all affairs and causes pain through destruction of the country, epidemics, suffering and affliction.
303. If under the moon swara the fire or ether element is present, then there will be serious famine and suffering. In the same way, the effects of the tattwas on the complete year, month or even day should be found out.
302. At the time of the beginning of the moon swara, if the earth, water or air element is active, there will be prosperity due to abundance of grain.
301. The learned yogi should analyze the five elements in the morning of the first day of Chaitra (March, April), shukla paksha, when the sun moves to the south or north, then ask questions about the events of the coming year.
305. The knower of the tattwas should examine the differences in the swaras at the time of the transition of the sun into the sign of Aries and should predict results accordingly for the whole year for the benefit of the people.
306. When the earth or water element is prominent, the days, the months and the whole year will be prosperous and hold good news. If the ether, air or fire element is present, the conditions will be bad.
307. If at the above time (see sloka 305) the earth element is active, there will be abundant food, prosperity in the country, good crops, plentiful rain and happiness.
308. If on the above day (see sloka 305) the water element is flowing, there will be sufficient rains, abundance of food, freedom from disease, prosperity and rich crops.
309. If the fire element is flowing, then there will be famine, destruction of the country, destruction of the grain crops and scanty rainfall.
310. If the air elem