WHAT ARE THE TWENTY IMPORTANT SPIRITUAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR SADHANA ? (SADHANA FOR BEGINNERS- 20)
WHAT IS THE COURSE OF SADHANA?---
1. BRAHMA MUHURTA
Get up at 4 a.m. Answer calls of nature. Clean your teeth and wash your mouth. Take bath where possible. Arrange to sit for Dhyana as quickly as possible, for Brahma Muhurta is extremely favourable for meditation on God.
Practise to sit in one Asana only, preferably Padmasana or any convenient pose in which you will be able to sit for long hours without physical strain. Sit erect with body, head and neck in a straight line. Sit for at least one hour
from 5 to 6 a.m. at a stretch without any physical movement.
Offer mental Surrender to your Guru and Ishta Devata. Pray that all beings be happy, peaceful and blissful. Recite a few prayer Slokas that will produce sublime thoughts. Pray for knowledge and devotion only.
Do Japa of Ishta Mantra mentally from 5 to 10 Malas (of 108 beads) daily.
a-Before going to actual meditation, practise simple Pranayama .minutes. Feel the indwelling presence of the Lord and his form in you. Think of the attributes of the Lord, such as purity, love, perfection, all-pervading intelligence, bliss-absolute, omnipresence, omnipotence, omniscience of Him in and around you.
b-Meditate now on the form of Ishta Devata. When the mind runs away from the object of meditation, repeat Ishta Mantra. This will steady the mind. Have another sitting for meditation at night. Do not neglect meditation as it is most important. Regularity in the practice of meditation is divinising( make (someone) divine )of oneself for God-realisation.
Read one chapter or ten verses of the Bhagavad Gita with meaning and any holy text which will increase your psychic and spiritual culture, daily.
7. PHYSICAL EXERCISE
Practise Asanas, Surya Namaskara or any useful exercise for physical movement of the body in any form best suited to you.
Take light simple food. Have a balanced diet. Fast on Ekadasi days or any day take milk and fruits or root only. Offer to God every food you take.
Do some selfless service for one hour daily or for one or more hours on Sundays and holidays.
Practise abstinence from speech and also be free from worldly thoughts for two hours daily and four to eight hours on Sundays and holidays. Observe celibacy according to your age and circumstances. Restrict the indulgence to once a month. Decrease it gradually to once a year. Finally take a vow of abstinence for whole life.
Go to bed early or not later than 10 p.m. A rest for more than six hours is not necessary.
12. SPIRITUAL DIARY
Maintain a regular diary from the day you begin Sadhana. Stick to your daily routine at any cost, never say tomorrow, for that tomorrow never comes.
In your practice of Sadhana in seclusion, the spiritual diary maintained, takes the place of an absentee Guru, for, it reminds you to be regular in your daily habits and spiritual practices.
Twenty Important Spiritual Instructions
TWENTY IMPORTANT SPIRITUAL INSTRUCTIONS;------ 1. Get up at 4 a.m. daily. This is Brahmamuhurta which is extremely favourable for meditation on God.
2. ASANA: Sit on Padma, Siddha or Sukha Asana for Japa and meditation for half an hour, facing the east or the north. Increase the period gradually to three hours.Take light physical exercises as walking, etc., regularly. Do specific Pranayamas.
3. JAPA: Repeat any Mantra as pure Om or Panchdasi ,Om Namo Narayanaya, Om Namah Sivaya, Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya, Om Saravanabhavaya Namah, Hari Om, or Gayatri, according to your taste or inclination, from 108 to 21,600 times daily.
4. DIETETIC DISCIPLINE: Take Sattvic food, Suddha Ahara. Observe moderation in diet (Mitahara). Do not overload the stomach. Give up those things which the mind likes best for a fortnight in a year. Eat simple food. Milk and fruits help concentration.
Take food as medicine to keep the life going. Eating for enjoyment is sin. Reduce salt and sugar .Do not ask for extra salt for Dhal and sugar for tea, coffee or milk.
5. Have a separate meditation-room under lock and key.
6. CHARITY: Do charity regularly, every month, or even daily according to your means .
7. SVADHYAYA: Study systematically the Gita, the Ramayana, the Bhagavata, Sri Vishnu-Sahasranama, Lalita-Sahasranama, Aditya Hridaya, Upanishads or Yoga Vasishtha, the Bible, the Koran, the Tripitakas, the Granth Sahib, etc., from half an hour to one hour daily and have Suddha Vichara.
8. BRAHMACHARYA: Preserve the vital force very carefully. Because it is God in motion or manifestation / Vibhuti / all power / all money /the essence of life, thought and intelligence.
9. PRAYER SLOKAS: Get by heart some prayer-Slokas, Stotras and repeat them as soon as you sit in the Asana before starting Japa or meditation. This will elevate the mind quickly.
10. SATSANGA: Have Satsanga. Give up bad company, smoking, meat and alcoholic liquors entirely. Do not develop any evil habits.
11. FAST ON EKADASI/Any one day : Fast on Ekadasi or live on milk and fruits only.
12. JAPA MAALA: Have Japa Maala (rosary) round your neck or in your pocket or underneath your pillow at night.
13. MOUNA: Observe Mouna (vow of silence) for a couple of hours daily.
14. SPEAK THE TRUTH: Speak the truth at all cost. Speak a little. Speak sweetly.
15. Reduce your wants. If you have four shirts, reduce the number to three or two. Lead a happy, contented life. Avoid unnecessary worry. Have plain living and high thinking.
16. NEVER HURT ANYBODY: Never hurt anybody (Ahimsa Paramo Dharmah). Control anger by love, forgiveness and compassion.
17. DO NOT DEPEND UPON SERVANTS: Do not depend upon servants. Self-reliance is the highest of all virtues.
18. SELF-ANALYSIS: Think of the mistakes you have committed during the course of the day, just before retiring to bed (self-analysis). Keep daily diary and self-correction register. Do not brood over(To worry anxiously )past mistakes.
19. FULFIL DUTIES: Remember that death is awaiting you at every moment. Never fail to fulfil your duties. Have pure conduct .
20. SURRENDER TO GOD: Think of God as soon as you wake up and just before you go to sleep. Surrender yourself completely to God (Saranagati). THE NEXT IS --EXPERIENCES & PRANAYAMA OF KUNDALINI .....SHIVOHAM.....